|| About South
Carolina's Coastal Zone
backwater area has savannahs, marshes, swampy forests and coastal
rivers that rise & fall with the tides. The outer part is made
of three divisions:
1) the Grand Strand - the arcuate of 60 miles of sandy
beaches from the NC border to Winyah Bay
2) the Santee Delta - 18 miles, runs from Winyah
Bay to Bulls Island
3) Sea Island Complex - has Sea Islands and
Barrier Islands. Sea Islands, erosion
remnant islands, are actually part of the continent but become
surrounded by ocean after the last Ice Age ended (Ex. Kiawah, Hilton
Head, Edisto, St. Helena, and Port Royal). Barrier Islands
are deposited sand dunes from the Holocene Epoch (Ex. Edisto Beach,
What are Barrier Islands?
Barrier Islands are narrow sandbar created beaches that are
separated from the mainland, usually temporary, lasting from a few
years to a few centuries. (Ex. Bull Island, Fripp Island, Hunting
Island, etc.) South Carolina's barrier islands have the
1) A dynamic beach system with offshore bars, pounding surf
and shifting or eroding beaches
2) A series of grassy dunes behind the beach
3) Maritime forests with wetlands in the interiors
4) Salt or tidal marshes on the lee side, facing the mainland
What are Other Shoreline
Features on Depositional Beaches?
Beaches are defined as deposits of sediment which run parallel
to the shore. The southeast coastline of the U.S. is depositional
shoreline (sandy beach) for the most part.
sandy beach features:
- lagoon - a long, shallow body of seawater isolated
from the ocean.
- spit- formed from deposits from the longshore
current as it loses energy as it approaches a bay.
- bay mouth bar - where a spit has closed off a bay by
attaching to a headland
Links to Other Sights in the
Coastal Zone of S.C.
Island State Park
Basin National Wildlife Refuge / SCMaps
on the A.C.E. Basin
Discovery, the Museum on Hilton Head Island
at Bulls Island
National Wildlife Refuge
State Park and Edisto River Canoe & Kayak Trail
Island National Wildlife Refuge
on Winyah Bay
Beach State Park
on Myrtle Beach
Ferry State Park
Beach State Park
on North Inlet
along with our web team on our visit to Hunting Island State Park.
© S. Debebe-Kumssa, J. Grindrod, V. Lyles, N. Osmanski, and M. Poarch